Saturday, June 16, 2012

Wrath of the Titans (2012)

Movie background from rottentomatoes.com:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/clash_of_the_titans_2/
I was surprised that it got a very low rating from critics in reliable internet movie review websites such as rottentomatoes.com and imdb.com, although I wasn't expecting a high rating for it too. Most of the criticisms center on the movie's inconsistency with the mythology, and its focus on special effects alone versus character development & great acting.

After watching the movie, I felt that the writer and director purposely moved away from the original story of the gods to create an "original" story that depicts families in today's societies - where its members turn away from each other because of power, money or other selfish desires. I may be wrong on this.

I agree that the actors could have done better to easily stir emotions of viewers. But I believe that if I a person can relate to the story or values that the movie wants to teach, it can indeed bring about the intended effect. The themes were obviously laid out anyway - revenge, envy, fatherly love and strength of human spirit.

Overall, I think the movie is a good action and sci-fi treat rather than a mythology on-screen adaptation. It's worth watching, but will not leave a lasting impression though.

Movie reviews at imdb.com:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1646987/reviews

My rating: 70%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...